Thursday’s Special: Pick A Word in June Y2 Photo Challenge
A Procession of Goddess Sri Lakshmi on an Elephant
Branching of Trees and Hooked Mountains
Inspired by Paula’s Lost in Translation Thursday’s Special Pick A Word
‘Akshaya’ means eternal and ‘Tritiya’ means the third day of the month. Akshaya Tritiya falls on the third day following the no moon day of the (Tamil/Telugu calendar) month of Chithra (April 14th – May 14th). In 2017, it is on April 28th and 29th. It is believed that any venture (such as a business or a construction of a building, et al) started on this day would fetch everlasting fortune and prosperity; and most importantly, the best day or ‘muhurta’ to get married and also to buy gold.
The significance of this day roots back to the Indian mythology.
- The God of Wisdom, Ganesha, started writing the great holy epic of Mahabharatha.
- According to this epic, when the Pandavas were in exile, God presented them a bowl named Akshaya Pathram (bowl), which provided unlimited amount of food when needed.
- The most popular story regarding Akshaya Tritiya is that God Krishna and Sudama were friends during their childhood. Sudama was poor and he visited Krishna to seek some financial support. Sudama offered Him a small bag of just rice flakes which Krishna received as a priceless gift. His poor friend was overwhelmed by His hospitality and hesitated to ask Him for any help which made him go home empty-handed. When he reached home, he found that his hut had turned into a palace and his family became rich. Sudama sensed that this was the divine helping hand of Krishna who blessed him with more wealth than he needed or could ever imagine.
- The god of wealth and the treasurer of all gods, Kubera, prayed to Goddess Lakshmi on this day, and was granted the gift of perpetual wealth and prosperity.
- The holy river Ganges descended on Earth from the Heaven on this day.
- Sage ParashuRama, the sixth incarnation of God Vishnu, was born on this day.
- Treta Yuga, one of the four ages of the life of the world, the age of the holy epic, Ramayana, commenced.
- Veda Vyasa initiated the recital of the holy epic, Mahabharatha, with the presence of God Ganesha, according to some believers.
Astrologically, on this day, the Sun and the Moon would be exalted and in their most radiant phase. It is believed that even couples with mismatched horoscopes could get rid of all problems and troubles by getting married on Akshaya Tritiya.
Images Source: Public Domain